CSS Play Menu Css3Menu.com

Business, Study and Recreation

Cruise Ship Passengers

Cruise passengers of any nationality who intend to remain in the island only during the stay of the vessel by which they arrived and to depart on the same vessel are not required to hold passports.

Business Personnel and Students
All foreign nationals wishing to travel to Jamaica as visitors to work, to attend school, on business or to seek medical attention must first apply for entry visa through the Embassy of Jamaica or Consulates.

Business Personnel

Persons coming to Jamaica on business must be in possession of the following documents:

  • Avalid national passport
  • A return or round trip ticket
  • A visa; or
  • A work permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security

To obtain business visa, applicant should submit the following to the nearest Jamaican Mission:

  • Completed visa application Form "J"
  • A valid passport
  • Correspondence from business/commercial contact in Jamaica (on company letterhead) confirming the nature of the visit
  • Correspondence from local company( on company letterhead) stating the purpose and length of visit
  • One passport-sized photograph

For Visa fees, contact the Embassy or Consulate.


Students coming to study in Jamaica should produce following:

  • A valid passport
  • A visa for each entry (if any)
  • A return ticket
  • A letter of acceptance from the school or institution which the student will be attending
  • Name of person responsible for student while at school
  • Sufficient funds for maintenance
  • Student over 16 years old must be registered as aliens at 25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10 (for Corporate Area) and at the main Police Station of rural parishes

N.B. Students who have made proper arrangements with an educational institution prior to arrival may be landed for one year on each entry. Students without proper arrangements may be landed for two months. As soon as the necessary arrangements are made and appropriate evidence is received, the Chief Immigration Officer may extend period to one year.

Foreign nationals who want to work in Jamaica, are required to obtain a work permit that is granted at the discretion of the Ministry of Labour in Jamaica. The permit should be obtained prior to arrival in Jamaica.

Ministry of Labour
1F North Street
Kingston, Jamaica

Visas are issued by Jamaican Consular officials only after confirmation that a work permit has been issued to the applicant.

Diplomatic and Official Passport Holders require the following:

  • National passport valid for a minimum of six (6) months with valid reentry visa to the United States of America or for intended destination on departing Jamaica
  • Note Verbale from Diplomatic or Consular Mission to which applicant is attached, stating in detail, purpose and length of visit (visas are issues gatis)

Exemptions from Visa or Work Permit:

  • Heads of Mission and members of staff accredited to Jamaica are exempt from Work Permit. VISA REQUIRED
  • Direct transit and transit passengers
  • United States, German, and Canadian Peace Corps personnel are exempt from work permit and registration. VISA REQUIRED
  • Persons employed by the United Nations with Laissez Passer are exempt from visa and work permit
  • Persons employed by owners or operators of aircrafts operated on an international service and have landed in Jamaica to perform duties on said aircrafts are exempt from visa, work permit, and registration
  • Directors, inspectors, and auditors of any company who operate a branch in Jamaica may stay for a period of up to fourteen (14) days within one calendar year without visa and work permit
  • Persons employed in any Ministry or Department of the Government of Jamaica may be exempted
  • Writers, journalists, broadcasters, sculptors and painters (excluding industrial painters) may stay for varying periods of up to thirty (30) days in one calendar year with work permit exemption, subject to the approval of the JIS
  • Persons sent by the Government of any sovereign power may stay for varying periods up to fourteen (14) days in one calendar year

© 2007 Embassy of Jamaica Washington, DC | 1520 New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20036