CSS Play Menu Css3Menu.com

Residency through Registration

Non-Jamaicans may be granted Jamaican Resident Status on application by virtue of marriage to Jamaican nationals. Hence, foreign spouses are required to register with the Ministry of National Security upon arrival in Jamaica, after which they will be allowed to reside permanently on the island.

This registration is also necessary so that the foreign spouse can be granted the Certificate of Exemption from Work Permit Requirements. In this connection, the couple is required to submit the following:

  • Official certificate of marriage - in cases of previous marriage(s), the official Decree(s) of Absolute will be required
  • Proof of Jamaican citizenship enjoyed by spouse, however acquired
  • Passport of both spouses
  • Passport-sized photographs of both; and
  • Signed declaration that both spouses share the same matrimonial home

Foreign spouses may not only register for permanent residence, but may do so for obtaining Jamaican citizenship/nationality. In this connection, it should be noted that Jamaica recognises dual citizenship/nationality and thus foreign spouses are allowed to retain their respective citizenship/nationality after acquiring that of Jamaica, if they so desire. A person may be granted naturalization after a minimum period of five (5) years residency in Jamaica on application following his/her residency through either visa or work permit application.A Jamaican passport or travel document may be issued on application to a non-Jamaican only after the person has obtained a Certificate of Registration or Naturalization from the appropriate authorities in Jamaica.

Permanent Residents are still required to be in possession of valid permits issued by the Ministry of Labour if they are engaged in gainful employment. However, they need not seek any further extension of stay, but must obtain a multiple reentry visa from the Immigration Officer prior to any overseas travel.All aliens over sixteen (16) years of age who expect to live in Jamaica for over six (6) months are required to register as aliens at a fee of J$1,000.00Permanent Resident Status may be withdrawn if it becomes necessary, at the discretion of the Minister.Please note: The granting of permanent residency does not automatically convey the right to work. A work permit is still required.

Approval is given by:
Ministry of National Security
Mutual Life Building, North Tower
2 Oxford Road, Kingston 10
Tel: (876) 906-4908-33
Fax: (876) 906-1724

Please be advised that the above is currently being updated by the Ministry of National Security. For further information, you may contact them directly.

© 2007 Embassy of Jamaica Washington, DC | 1520 New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20036